Location: Swedesboro-Sharptown Road, three miles south from the center of
Swedesboro. It is now owned by the Gloucester County Historical Society and is
on the National Register.
Materials of construction: a stone foundation;
exterior walls are Flemish bond with red headers in front with built courses between
the first and second story windows. The interior walls are wainscoting and plaster.
The roof was constructed with pitch and shingles.
View of the Moravian Church in Swedesboro NJ - Photograph by J. Brown, September
Click on graphic to see larger view
to one history of Trinity Episcopal Church (in Swedesboro): "the considerable
trouble from Moravian dissenters caused a division in the congregation and the
establishment of the Zion
Moravian Church of Oldman's Creek, south of Swedesboro, in 1743 (present building,
The first church erected by the Moravians
at Oliphant's Mill in 1747 was a log one. It was consecrated by Bishop
Spangenberg and Pastor Nyberg on August 31, 1749 (old style). The
ground and a large part of the lumber for this log structure was given
by George Avis; this is the traditional story.
membership became so great by 1768 that the Parish appealed to the Synod at Lititz,
Pennsylvania, for recognition. This they were granted and in 1769 Frederick Schmidt
was appointed pastor of the 120 members of the church. His pastorate lasted until
1783. In the diary which he kept during his term he tells of hearing the cannonading
of the Battle
of Brandywine on September 11, 1777 and later on October 22 of Red
A skirmish occurred with the British near the Church June 12,
Reverend Francis Bohlen succeeded Pastor Schmidt in 1783. During this time we
hear that the membership increased. The church was reorganized by order of Bishop
Jan Von Waterville, son-in-law of Count Zinzendorf, in 1785. The present edifice
was begun in the following spring. However, during the pastorate of Frederick
Moehring, 1793 to 1798, the membership decreased. This was probably due to the
fact that the Moravians persisted in holding the services in foreign tongues.
From the time Moehring left until 1801 when Samuel Towle arrived the church was
without a pastor. He left the next year and John Freytag came. He remained only
a year and was the last resident pastor of the church.
1807, the Methodists were allowed to worship here; they were forced out, however,
and built the Pilesgrove Methodist Church a short distance away. In 1834 the Episcopalians
asked for the use of the building, and it was granted to them. In 1836 the church
and rectory were deeded to the Protestant Episcopal Church of New Jersey. The
Gloucester County Historical Society erected a tablet in 1907 bearing the following
"Near this site 1747
the Moravians erected a log church, which
dedicated Aug. 31, 1749 O.S. by Bishop A.S. Spangenburg.
construction of this church was begun in June 1786 and
July 5, 1789 by Bishop J. Ettwein. This property was
to the Protestant Episcopal Church of New Jersey,
Moravian Church had the longest life of any established in
New Jersey and
was the last one until the modern Moravians were established. The
Moravian church was built in 1786, almost forty years after it was organized.
It is a trim symmetrical brick building, with minimal decorative elements, and
two front doors on the long side, in the manner of the Quaker meetinghouses.
Moravian Church - Churchscapes
Church (photographs, drawings and history ) - American